Sunday, November 20, 2011

Courage comes in many forms.

Courage.
One word can evoke a thousand images in the mind.
One word. Whose connotation evokes the ideals and ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty or intimidation. To act rightly in the face of popular opposition, shame, scandal or discouragement.
Courage.

When I was in grade-school, we put on a performance of the Wizard of Oz and I had a starring role as the Cowardly Lion. Perhaps it was that moment of being cast, or the lines, or perhaps the dozens of shows we did over the school year. But there was something I took away from that experience that has shaped me.

I have never thought of myself as particularly courageous. Adventurous? Yes. Brave? No. Yet, as I get older I find that just taking a small step outside of one's comfort zone takes courage. Courage whispers in your ear when you are busy paying attention to other things in 'life'.


It takes courage to live. It takes courage to stand up for what is right. It takes courage.
Every day is an opportunity to start a new adventure, to live with courage.

Thus the reason for my blog name: Begin an Adventure.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature,
nor do the children of men
as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger is no safer
in the long run than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
--Helen Keller


What is your adventure?
Muster the courage to take one small baby step outside your comfort zone and begin it today.

(Here is a very long winded but good article on the Courage to Live Consciously)

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely adventurous, and I'd say courageous too. I agree, as we get older, it takes more courage 'enthusiasm of the heart' as the French say I believe, to follow our adventurous hearts. But indeed, we must.

    ReplyDelete